Ramayana Book download in PDF, ePub & Mobi
The Ramayana is a Sanskrit epic from ancient India written by Valmiki and first published between the 8th century BC and the 3rd century AD.
The "Ramayana" is an ancient Indian epic attributed to the sage Valmiki. It is one of the two major Sanskrit epics of ancient India. The narrative of the Ramayana focuses on the life of Rama , prince of Ayodhya and seventh avatar of the Hindu god Vishnu.
The epic is divided into seven books, or Kandas, and consists of some 24,000 verses. The main storyline is as follows:
- Bala Kanda: This book begins with the sage Valmiki's question to Narada about a perfect human being who embodies all virtues. Narada describes Rama, a prince of Ayodhya. The story moves on to the birth of Rama and his siblings, their education and Rama's marriage to Sita after bending the mighty bow of Shiva.
- Kanda of Ayodhya: Rama is about to be crowned king of Ayodhya, but his stepmother Kaikeyi, influenced by her maid Manthara, demands that her own son Bharata be made king and that Rama be exiled for 14 years. Rama accepts exile, and Sita and his devoted brother Lakshmana join him.
- Aranya Kanda : In the forest, Rama, Sita and Lakshmana meet several sages and have many adventures, including the defeat of the demoness Surpanakha. This leads to Sita's abduction by Ravana, the demon king of Lanka.
- Kishkindha Kanda: Rama and Lakshmana meet Hanuman and form an alliance with the monkey king Sugriva. In exchange for Rama's help in regaining his own kingdom, Sugriva agrees to help find Sita.
- Sundara Kanda: This book details Hanuman's journey to Lanka, where he finds Sita imprisoned. Hanuman reassures her, burns Lanka and returns to Rama with the news of Sita's location.
- Yuddha Kanda: This extensive book describes the battle between the armies of Rama and Ravana. With the help of his allies, including the monkey god Hanuman, Rama finally defeats Ravana and rescues Sita. However, Rama doubts Sita's chastity and subjects her to a trial by fire to prove her purity.
- Uttara Kanda: This last book deals with Rama's life after his return to Ayodhya, the birth of his sons Lava and Kusha, Sita's banishment due to social pressure and finally Rama's reunion with his sons and Sita. The epic concludes with Rama's departure from earth and his ascension to Vaikuntha, the abode of Lord Vishnu.
"Ramayana" explores themes such as duty, righteousness, loyalty, the ideal ruler, the ideal wife, the ideal brother and the ideal servant. It has had a profound impact on Indian life and culture and remains a revered text in Hinduism and Indian culture.
"Now Daśaratha's pious mind
Meet wedlock for his sons designed;
With priests and friends the king began
To counsel and prepare his plan.
Such thoughts engaged his bosom, when,
To see Ayodhyá's lord of men,
A mighty saint of glorious fame,
The hermit Viśvámitra came."
This edition of Ramayana is based on Ralph T. H. Griffith's translation.
35 hours 22 minutes (424463 words)
About this book
The Ramayana book is available for download in PDF, ePUB and Mobi
Date added: 12-11-2023
Total views: 704
Total downloads: 497
Ramayana by Valmiki is believed to be out of copyright restrictions only in the United States. It may still be copyrighted in other countries. If you are not located in the United States, you must check your local laws to make sure that the contents of this eBook are free from copyright restrictions in the country where you are located in before downloading Ramayana in PDF or ePub.
Share this book
Valmiki is revered as an ancient Indian sage and the author of the epic poem 'Ramayana', one of the most importan...
We have 1 books by Valmiki in Alice and Books library
You may like...